DONATE NOW   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Become a Member
What fingerstyle guitarists are coming to conference-or not?
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/1/2017 at 4:37:14 AM GMT
What fingerstyle guitarists are coming to conference-or not?
As usual, I need help in narrowing my auditions at the conference.  Artists who get booked at Houston's Songbird Sanctuary nearly always: 

1) Play guitar almost entirely by finger-style and not with simple thump-strum rhythm beat.  The rolling finger-picking that lends a complex melodic background to a good ballad is our favorite style.  

2)  Write (or play traditional) real FOLK songs, which for my hosting purposes means the lyrics appeal to the brain more than the lower organs.  We'd like your songs to be about ideas, society, politics, the people, interesting persons, history, murder, rivers, places, and things like that and void of examination of your relationships, your lovers and would-be lovers, your desires, angst, trucks, drinking, indulgences, and faith.  Metaphor and allegory are highly regarded here.  Our attendees spend more time in libraries than they do in bars.  

AND (not or) 

3) Have never before played in Houston—better yet, never in Texas—and are mature with 20+ years of professional experience and are well-known in your own region.   (After 100 sell-out shows (50+ attendees) in 14 years mostly of introducing artists to our area, there may not be any of you left, so if you've played a gig or two in town but aren't yet fully appreciated, we might find a place for you.)   

If you are such a remarkable artist, please reply in this new forum system and also contact me directly.  

Tom Yeager
Songbird Sanctuary
music@songbirdsanctuary.org

Tom Yeager, Songbird Sanctuary, Houston

2/4/2017 at 7:08:38 AM GMT
check it out this guy is good http://folkalliance.site-ym.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topic=1331768&page=1#post_1332803

2/10/2017 at 4:15:04 AM GMT

Hi Tom~

I'll toss my hat in the ring here. I'm a singer-songwriter up in Alaska, moving down to California so I'll not have to pay $600 just to get to Seattle when I've some shows. Touring has been somewhat limited as a single parent, but I'm on the road again now and Texas is definitely on the list. I'd be pleased if you were able to swing by one of my showcases to see if what I do might fit your series.

Thanks!

Kray Van Kirk

http://krayvankirk.com/

"what every singer-songwriter should aspire to"

Borderline Folk Club, New York

Wed. 11:00 p.m. - Access Film Music, Room #630

Thurs. 3:00 p.m. - Brett Perkin's Listening Room, Room #649

Thurs. 11:30 p.m. - First-Timer's Showcase, Room #724

Fri. 2:40 p.m. - Access Film Music, Room #630

Sat. 12:30 a.m. - Whose World is This? Room #747

Sat. 3:30 p.m. - Brett Perkin.s Listening Room, Room # 649

Sat. 10:30 p.m. - Shubb Capocobana, Room #541

Attached Images:

Last edited Friday, February 10, 2017
2/10/2017 at 7:05:08 AM GMT
What a nice hat it is, Kray. And I will add that in the ring we operate, only the finest efforts of haberdashers and milliners are ever placed upon our heads.

Over the past month, I've watched videos from about half of the 1184 artists shown on the attendance list. Although my schedule is very full, now, I only have 2 or 3 real targets, and you are in that tiny group. I had already scheduled you for your first two showcases, and I look forward to them with zeal.

Tom Yeager

Tom Yeager, Songbird Sanctuary, Houston

2/10/2017 at 6:14:42 PM GMT
Thanks so much, Tom! I'll be on the lookout for you. :-)

2/12/2017 at 6:08:14 AM GMT
Hi Tom........It sounds like you might really like Jim Page....www.jimpage.net. Jim and I (his partner Katy) are hosting the Whose World Is This? Showcase in room 747 thurs-fri-sat eve. Jim will open Sat and Sun eve at 10:30 for a 25 minute set. And he is on at 12:30 on Thurs eve. Jim has a few other showcase spots too ---the times which escape me but they will be in the little guidebook. We missed the deadline for the Official showcase applications but there are still chances to see Jim at the eve indies. He is a seasoned songwriter, guitar player with tons of chops and is a riveting performer. I hope we see you in room 747!

World Headquarters 509 DELAWARE ST. #101, KANSAS CITY, MO 64105 • 816-221-FOLK (3655) • FAI@FOLK.ORG

Subscribe to our mailing list

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal