DONATE NOW   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Become a Member
Molsky's Mountain Drifters
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

12/17/2016 at 4:40:00 PM GMT
Molsky's Mountain Drifters

Phone: ‎(914) 489-9961

Email: audrey@brucemolsky.com

Molsky’s Mountain Drifters – Tradition steeped in possibility.

FAI Music Camp instructors and Official Showcase Artists

Bruce Molsky’s new trio Molsky’s Mountain Drifters includes Allison de Groot on banjo and Stash Wyslouch on guitar. Grammy nominated Molsky is revered as old time music’s ambassador, teacher, and inspiration for the next generation of old time musicians.

Banjo virtuoso Allison de Groot of “The Goodbye Girls” and “Oh My Darling” met Molsky at one of his workshops at Berklee, where his interest was piqued when “she played Lester Young solos on claw hammer banjo.” Stash Wyslouch is one of bluegrass music’s true genre benders, a high-energy performer who cut his teeth in punk and metal bands before immersing himself in roots music with “The Deadly Gentlemen.”

Bruce Molsky is one of the most influential, exhilarating and revered fiddlers on the worldwide folk scene as well as a remarkable guitarist, banjoist and singer. A globetrotting performer and educator, a recording artist with an expansive discography and well over a dozen collaborations and two Grammy-nominations. He’s received high praise from diverse fans and collaborators like Linda Ronstadt, Mark Knopfler, Celtic giants Donal Lunny and Andy Irvine, jazzer Bill Frisell and dobro master Jerry Douglas, to name a few.

“I was looking for a new voice,” says Molsky, “a new avenue of expression using old time mountain music as the jumping-off point, but not being constrained by hard core traditionalism. Allison and Stash are showing me the way, just where the music is headed, in directions I never would have imagined when I started my own journey into the mountains a long time ago. The CD is a reflection of that, and we see it as just the beginning. I chose the tunes and songs to represent a palette of straight old time repertoire, as well as new songs appropriate to our times, like Billy Bragg’s “Between The Wars,” an original waltz, and a set of Métis dance tunes that punctuate the exploration.”

“The Mountain Drifters are one of my life’s great joys. We fill out each other’s sound covering all nooks and crannies with little brushes of our personalities. We breathe together, we smile together and we laugh and poke a whole lot of fun together,” says Stash. “I love and respect Bruce and Stash as people and musicians. Molsky’s Mountain Drifters is a wonderful place to express our individual musical personalities, and in combination we are able to explore the tradition and our own sound,” says Allison.

Attached Images:

Last edited Saturday, December 17, 2016

Folk Alliance International, 512 Delaware Street, Kansas City MO 64105 • 816-221-FOLK (3655) • fai@folk.org

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal